Spectrum is not a new name in the industry. Surely, you have heard of it before and maybe even used its services at some point or use it currently as well. And even if you haven’t, the reason you are on this page right now means you are looking into switching to or joining the Spectrum family. Luckily for you, Spectrum provides multiple perks for its customers allowing them to save money and more.
While we could go on and on about Spectrum’s qualities and its plans, we’re going to stick to our topic. Toady’s blog is a guide on how you can install Spectrum internet by yourselves. Yes, you read that right. It is possible and you are given the option of installing Spectrum internet by yourselves. In fact, it makes for a great option if you are looking to save up some money.
But of course, if at any point, you feel like you made an error and your internet doesn’t seem to be working, Spectrum is just a call away. You shouldn’t be intimidated by thinking that you’ll be completely on your own without any help. Aside from the detailed and easy-to-follow guide provided to you, you have online resources, like this blog, to help you. And Spectrum has a wonderful technical support team for English speakers and Spanish speakers as well under the name Spectrum Espanol.
What does my installation kit include?
So, now that you have a basic idea about the kit, the next thing you need to focus on what you will be getting in the kit. Once you have made the arrangement to self-install, you will be delivered a self-install kit which includes:
- Instruction guide
- Coax cables
- Coax splitter
- Ethernet cable
- Phone cable (with phone subscription only)
- Wi-Fi router (with add-on Wi-Fi service)
How to install Spectrum internet?
Once you have opened the kit and looked at the equipment, the next thing to do is start assembling and connecting.
- Look for the right place to set up your modem. (Note: It is advised to set up your modem in a central open space to avoid any signal blockage or interruptions.)
- Choose a coax cable that is the right length to connect to your modem and a cable outlet in your home.
- After setting up the modem, plug the power cable into the modem and connect it to an electrical outlet.
- The light for Online on the front of the modem should go from flashing to solid. This usually takes hardly a few seconds to minutes, however, if your modem needs a firmware update, it could take up to 20 minutes.
- Now, you will have to decide whether you are going to use a wired connection or a wireless one. If you are using a wired connection, connect your computer or system to the modem with an Ethernet cable. Now, you will just need to activate the internet.
- If you will be using wireless, you will have to do a few additional steps to install the router before activating the internet.
How to install Spectrum Wi-Fi?
If you have gone with the wireless connection, you will need to follow these steps to connect and install Wi-Fi.
- Take the Ethernet cable and plug one end into the Ethernet port on the modem while the other is plugged into the Internet port on the router.
- Connect the router to an electrical outlet via a power cord.
- On the front of the router, you will find an unlabeled light towards the lower right corner.
- Wait for the light to change to solid from blinking. A solid light indicates that your router is ready to go.
- On the back of your router, you will find two Wi-Fi networks and a password.
- Connect your phone, laptop, etc. by selecting any of the two networks and entering the password.
Is there any reason I have two networks on my router?
Most Wi-Fi routers come with two networks: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. There’s not much difference between the two, except that they just use different frequencies to transmit the internet.
The 2.4 GHz network has a wider coverage area, which means it works well for devices even placed far away from the router. This frequency is recommended for use for smart devices since they will be placed far away from the router.
The 5 GHz network provides a stronger signal but only to devices placed close to the router. It does not have a wide coverage area like 2.4 GHz. So, if you want to use the internet for gaming, office work, and more, it is recommended that you stay close to the router and use this frequency.
How to activate Spectrum internet service?
After having made all those connections, the last thing left to do is activate the internet.
- Open the web browser on your phone or system and go to https://activate.spectrum.net/
- You will be presented with a few questions, which will help in verifying your account, so be sure to answer them accordingly.
- After that, your internet service will be activated and you’re done!
Is pro installation an option?
If you do not wish to self-install and activate the internet service, you can opt for the pro installation option by Spectrum. Spectrum will send over an expert technician to do it for you. You will be charged for the service fee which comes up to $49.99.
Our recommendation: Do it yourself, especially if you have subscribed to an internet-only plan. However, if you go for an internet and TV bundle, it is better to pay the fee and get a pro installation as the process for TV installation will be a bit more complicated than just internet service.
Do I get a free modem and router with the self-installation kit?
Spectrum tries its best to offer convenience to its users as much as it can. So, one of the good things about Spectrum is that you get a free modem once you subscribe to Spectrum internet! This saves you, not just a lot of money, but a lot of time as well. You won’t have to look for an updated modem in the market as Spectrum only delivers the best.
It also goes without saying that the modem will be compatible with your internet plan as well so there won’t be much trouble. If you ever happen to face any issues, you can just call up the technical team from Spectrum and get your problem resolved right away!
As for the router, you will have to purchase a router, either by yourself or through Spectrum. Spectrum offers an In-Home Wi-Fi add-on or service. Basically, you get to purchase a pre-configured router that boosts your internet speeds and helps you stay connected.
In short, Spectrum installation is just as easy as opening the kit, connecting a few cables and wires, and logging into the devices. That’s one way to summarize the process, but of course, occasionally, you might run into some problems of your own or there might be something you might have missed but didn’t realize. In that case, as we have mentioned above, you can just reach out to Spectrum customer service.
So, are you signing up? Want to learn more about Spectrum’s plans? There are multiple ways to do that. You can reach out to Spectrum customer service through BuyTVInternetPhone. Add in your ZIP code and discover the internet plans a
Leave a Reply